Enter The L.A.M.B. Fan Forum



Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Estevan Vega When Colors Bleed Blog Tour

Cover Image
WHEN COLORS BLEED is a collection of short stories by the author of ARSON. This unique collection features three different stories with universal themes of love, loss, and regret. Watch the colors bleed. Read my review HERE or purchase from Amazon HERE.

Today I have the awesome pleasure of hosting day 3 of Estevan Vega's Blog Tour. I am super excited because today Estevan has agree to do a guest post on trying to balance writing and having an life outside of the writing/promoting world. Without futher ado I give you the emensly talented Estevan Vega.

A Most Dangerous Game by Estevan Vega

In order to imagine this story the way you’re supposed to, you have to understand it from the
perspective of a young boy. I was only ten when I realized this writing thing was kind of fun. Ten. Barely into my double digits. Hardly prepared to embrace puberty and all of the lovely untriumphs that would come with its blessed arrival. Ten. But hey, other impressive things have come with the letter ten, right? The Ten Commandments. The top ten best films of a bad boxoffice weekend. The ten-year anniversary of your favorite spou—band. So, perhaps my odds of fighting the writing machine were better than most thought.

Of course it goes without saying (but I’m so going to) that obtaining wealth and notoriety
were two obvious goals at the beginning. But the focus quickly shifted like quicksand to a mere survival of the game. It’s like that short story you read back in high school, the one where the rich man brings a skilled hunter to his island to be hunted. The whole story might mean nothing if the hunted couldn’t survive. The Most Dangerous Game, that’s the one. And survival, that’s the game. That’s what writing is all about. I’m not just talking about surviving the critics, and there are many, or the newspapers or the television and radio interviews. I’m also talking about surviving the writing game. The pressures of balance and dreams and skill. And it is all a game. One that writers often effortlessly sign up for but sometimes are reluctant to play.

But what does survival have to do with a twenty-something writer like me? Well, a lot.
When I was younger, and even mostly today, school work always seemed to get in the way. To be honest, I wanted to do something else, most times anything else. When I was younger, I wanted to play outside instead. When I was a little older, I wanted to sketch comic book characters. A little older, to write. Now I’m even a little older than that…but the want stays the same this time. And that’s good. That’s very good. But the question of balance can still sometimes mystify me. School work + social life +family life + writing +watching tons of cool movies + going to awesome rock shows…where does Estevan Vega find all the time to do these things? To be honest, I have no idea. I just write when I can. And lately, it’s a lot. Sometimes I push things aside or push people aside, and I don’t really mean to. But I know if I don’t write something will always find a way to pull me apart. I’ve learned more than a books-worth of an education over this last year spent writing and touring. And that knowledge and experience will take me to the next stage which will take me to the next stage and so on.

The facts are the facts. There isn’t enough in the world. Things, however small or great, will
gnaw at you for attention. These things sometimes have faces or ideas. These functions can sometimes pull you away from your work. And yes, sometimes they play the hero and the villain. Like many things, they have their moments of burden, but there are times when these things can offer you deliverance. You know when you’re stuck in traffic, and the GPS allows you to re-route or to take an exit and you blindly find a new way to get to the same place? Well, there are increments in the writing time spectrum that are very similar. You go in one direction and hit traffic or you get lost. You have to then re-route and find an alternate path. When writer’s block comes to play or laziness, I search for these alternate routes, and they are often helpful. You can’t stay there, but it’s nice to occasionally steal a vacation. Sooner, rather than later, if you’re a writer, you’ll be aching to find a computer fast.

There really is no secret formula to staying focused or keeping everything in balance.
Because the slightest shift can change everything. Writers and people in general, need to come to grips with the fact that like any job, you try to do the best you can with what you have and keep your priorities in perspective. For me, it’s never letting that ten-year-old boy die. As long as he’s alive in me, I can write. As long as he’s alive, there’s ambition and hope. I can juggle school work and book signings and long car rides where sometimes you sell out and other times you fall flat on your face and nobody’s there to catch you. I can juggle goals and fears. I can survive an opinion. I can survive rejection. I can survive whatever comes to hunt. And after all, isn’t that what this game is about?

-E

Estevan Vega is the author of three novels (ARSON, THE SACRED SIN, and SERVANT
OF THE REALM) and a just-released short story collection WHEN COLORS BLEED. THE
SACRED SIN will be re-released in 2011 in a more complete, revamped edition. Also, look for book two in the ARSON series, out soon.

I got to meet Estevan, in person, this past December and getting to talk to him in person is the same as talking to him on Twitter or Facebook meaning his personality matches his persona, that of talking to one of your close friends. He is very approachable and one of those author's you are glad to know because he does some pretty amazing things with words....^_^. Everyone really should pick up a copy of When Colors Bleed and learn for themselves what a truly talented writer Estevan Vega is.

Link:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Clockwork Angel Countdown

Cool Banners

Love Immortal By Brita Addams
Most Eligible By Lindsay Marene Ordone
Michelle M. Pillow,Michelle M. Pillow
Michelle M. Pillow
Michelle M. Pillow
Michelle M. Pillow
Michelle M. Pillow

Torn By Johann Lippowitz With Natalie Imbruglia



Twilight Saga: Eclipse Trailer